Colorado Springs…Three Years Later

Colorado Springs…Three Years Later
Colorado Springs, CO

Colorado Springs, CO

It has been about three and one-half years since I was last in Colorado. Now it is time to deal with the jet lag. I woke up this morning at 03:30. Leslie joined me about an hour later. Hopefully this won’t last for long.

We departed Fruita and began our drive to Colorado Springs.

When we got to Glenwood Canyon, I had to stop to take some photos. The Colorado River was just thick with rafters. Believe it or not, even though I am a Colorado native, I have never gone rafting. The place I selected to stop at was No Name. In addition to being a rest stop, there is also a camping area that offers a zip-line. At one point I saw rafters going downstream and zip-liners going by overhead. It all looked like fun.

Another hour or so farther east we stopped at the top of Vail Pass for a quick break. It is just a beautiful setting. I really liked seeing the American and Colorado flags flying high.

We made it to Colorado Springs without incident. We were all astonished at the fire damage we saw as we were traveling through Ute Pass and then along 30th Street. As we drove by, the fire was 98 percent contained. We could still a little smoke up on the ridge; however, we did not see any flames. It was sad to see the devastation. We were saddened even more because one of our friends lost their home in the fire.

Before we ever left Madrid, I bought tickets for the Sky Sox baseball game on July 4. I figured what better way to celebrate the 4th of July than with a baseball game and fireworks display after the game. Unfortunately, due to all of the fires active in Colorado at the time, the authorities had canceled the fireworks display. We certainly understood, but we were disappointed.

Prior to the game we had a family tailgate, complete with Kentucky Fried Chicken. Boy, it was definitely finger lickin’ good!!

The Sky Sox, a farm team for the Colorado Rockies, were slated to play the Reno Aces, a farm team for the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Sky Sox quickly jumped out to a 5-0 lead. The drubbing continued until the middle of the ninth inning. The final score was 19-4. The Sky Sox win just sort of capped off the evening.

About midway through the game, Hillary paid $5 for a chance to toss some sponge balls at home plate. Whomever got a ball to stay on home plate would win $500. For the $5 she was given three balls, each with a number on it. At the end of the game she stood behind the visitor’s bench with numerous other participants and tossed the three balls. She did not land on home plate.

After the game we all headed home to prepare for the next day…doctor and dentist day, oh boy!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.