24-Hours of Photography

24-Hours of Photography

Point Halswell, New Zealand – May 7, 2018

Over roughly the last 24 hours, I have made nearly 300 photographs.  Readers, please do not despair.  This entry does not contain that many!

Leslie and I intended to travel to Point Halswell on Miramar Peninsula to capture the sunset.  Once the sun was down, I wanted to photograph the lights of the City of Wellington across Wellington Harbour.  Unfortunately, when we arrived, the conditions did not lend themselves to either endeavor.  It was very windy.  The wind gusts were about 78 km/h (48 mph).  That meant there was a lot of haze in the area.

Even though Plan A was off, I moved to Plan B; taking advantage of the beautiful colors courtesy of the late afternoon sunlight. Part of Plan B included using my wireless shutter release remote. I had never used it before…as the photographic evidence attests! Before I made the first shot, I knew the shadow of my tripod was in the view. However, I thought my body might be far enough away so that my shadow was out of sight …wrong! My next brilliant idea was to use the two-second delay. Surely that would be enough time for me to run my shadow out of the frame…wrong! Apparently, it takes quite a while to relocate this mass. Oh well, it is all about learning, I guess.

Hmmm…does the wireless shutter release work? Why yes it does!!
…maybe I can outrun the wireless shutter release…NOT!!

Once I got my wings, so to speak, I noticed a flock of water birds.  The birds hovered on the wind above the water and then dove into the water.  There was a shoal of fish there that was on the birds’ menu.  It did not last long there.  That makes sense.  If I were in a shoal, I would continue moving along, trying to get away from those pesky birds.

Seagulls flying around the rocks.
Feeding on a shoal of fish.
Flying to the next feeding spot.

When the flock flew behind me, there was a male and female seagull that remained behind, perched on a rock.  I can only assume they had had their fill of fish.  They just stood there, watching everything else unfold.  After a while, another female stopped on an adjacent rock.

“This is our rock,” she yells!
A new neighbor looking for a spot on the rock.
The neighbor has landed.

Leslie and I turned around and drove back home.
The next morning, we were on the road at 04:00. We drove to the Owhiro Bay area to experiment with star photography. My results were not “stellar”…but it was enjoyable. There is a reasonably well-lit foreground in many of the shots because there was a half-moon directly overhead. It provided a lot of light.
While we were there, we saw several ships moving through the Cook Strait.  We also saw a lot of shooting stars.

Stars at Red Rocks. The lens was open for 152 seconds. The line of light on the horizon is actually a cargo ship passing by in Cook Strait.

Before we depart from New Zealand, I will find another opportunity to try night photography.

We waited at the beach for the sunrise. It was breezy and fresh which made it somewhat uncomfortable. After making a few more photographs, we piled into the car and headed to breakfast with warm coffee.

The sun lit up most of the point. The barely visible mountains at the left horizon are actually across Cook Strait on the South Island.
View from Point Halswell across to Eastbourne.
A flock of seagulls feeding at Point Halswell.
Four birds stayed behind.
View toward Eastbourne. The small Ward Island is also visible.
Rock textures.
Rock textures II.
A trio of gulls.
Watching the waves crash.
The Point Halswell lighthouse.
Matiu/Somes Island.
Stars at Red Rocks. The lens was open for 193 seconds.
Stars at Red Rocks. The lens was open for 132 seconds.
Stars at Red Rocks. The lens was open for 123 seconds.
Looking toward Red Rocks at the far point.
The sky turned a bit pink at sunrise.
Looking toward Red Rocks.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.