Auckland, New Zealand – April 25, 2017
We took the hotel shuttle to LAX several hours ahead of our flight to Auckland, New Zealand. After checking in at the airport, we went to the business class lounge. It is one of the nicest I have ever seen.
The lounge was a great respite. One could sit on a terrace overlooking the duty-free area of the terminal; inside at a table or bar; in the television media room; in a shower to refresh; or on the outdoor terrace overlooking the tarmac of LAX. We spent most of our time at the outdoor terrace.
Our time in the lounge helped us relax before our nearly 13-hour flight to Auckland. Our time on the plane was wonderful, as the following menu demonstrates.
Meal after departure:
- Grilled prawns with ajo blanco sauce, gremolata oil and fried chorizo crumbs.
- Cod with hazelnut romesco sauce and risoni pasta with tomatoes, peas and green beans.
- Strawberry and rocky road ice creams with meringues and strawberry compote.
Breakfast prior to arrival:
- Gourmet bagel with bacon, spinach and Dijon mustard.
- Fresh fruit salad.
- Poached eggs on toasted muffins with bacon, steamed spinach and hollandaise sauce.
It is little wonder we were well rested when we did arrive in Auckland.
In Auckland, we went to the business lounge. While we were there, we saw Andrew Little, the leader of the New Zealand Labour Party. He acknowledged us as he passed by nodding his head. That may be our brush with fame in New Zealand.
We made it home to Wellington without issue. We departed the United States on April 22. We arrived in New Zealand on April 25. The International Date Line makes travel interesting. After all of the travel, we were tired. We were in bed by 19:00.