Fuengirola Business Trip

Fuengirola Business Trip
Fuengirola, Spain
Fuengirola, Spain I am in Fuengirola for a business trip. It is a beautiful, small town just south and west of Malaga. I am staying at the Confortel Fuengirola, a four star hotel. It is located at Paseo Maritimo Rey de Espana, 87. I am on the 14th floor in a junior suite. The room number is 1415. I came down this morning on the bullet train, the AVE. My hotel room has a spectacular view of the sea shore from both patios. On the AVE, breakfast was served. It included a plain omelet with ratatouille, bacon and Edam cheese; roll, butter, honey, chocolate; coffee, and yogurt. It was quite tasty. Just like when I travel to Barcelona on the AVE, it travels fast; as much as 300 km/hour. On the way this morning, the train stopped at the following towns: Ciudad Real, Puertollano, and Cordoba. Each stop is only for about five minutes, so people have to get on and off quickly. Before I left home this morning, Leslie told me how lucky I was to be able to travel to places like this. Boy was she ever right about that! This really is a beautiful location. Part of why I am writing this instead of being out taking pictures is because I am waiting for my camera battery to charge. As soon as that is done, I’m outta here! The battery finally charged and I left the hotel. It was around 16:30 when I left. I wanted to go to the Castillo Sohail, but no one could tell me when it closed. So I decided to walk around instead. I walked along the beach for quite a ways. I ended up talking to two Spanish fishermen. They had a total of four rods in use. I asked them, in Spanish, if they had caught any fish. They had not. The poles they were using were very large. I asked how they knew if there was a fish on the line. The told me the pole would bend significantly. If they fish at night, which they often do, they attach a small light to the tip of the pole so they can see when a fish is on. I left them to their fishing. They were nice men and they seemed to like the fact that I actually stopped and engaged them in conversation. After I left the fishermen, I just wandered around the town, taking photos. I ended up at a sidewalk cafe on Avenida de los Boliches. It was about a 100 meters east of Calle Lopez de Vega. I sat there, had some red wine, and photographed the world going by. After the wine, I came across El Restaurante El Entrecote. It is on the corner of Avenida de los Boliches and Calle Lopez de Vega. It was a steakhouse. To start, they served a warm roll with butter (very unusual for Spain). That came with some fresh cut carrot spears and some olives that were pitted (also very unusual for Spain). I was able to order my steak medium. This is the first steak I have had in Spain that was cooked to my standards. The steak was served with some potatoes with bacon, carrots and zucchini. It was all very good. With dinner I had a half-bottle of red wine (375 ml). I did not like the wine all that much. For dessert, I had a small strawberry ice cream with some white cream. On the way back to the hotel I took several photos at night. That is when I really like my camera. In low-light situations I can play with several settings on the camera that allow me to take a good photo, even though there is very little light available. Now that I am back at the hotel writing this, I have one of the patio windows open. Hearing the surf lightly crash on the beach is very, very relaxing. Before dinner I was able to buy a new magnet from here for Leslie’s collection. On my next trip down here, if there is a trip, I want to bring Leslie and Tyler so they can experience it too. On the next morning, the day I was to leave, my alarm went off at 05:00; however, since my train is not due to leave until about 14:00, I continued to doze until 07:00. At 07:00 I got up and got ready. By about 07:30 I was down in the hotel restaurant for my free breakfast. It was a fairly good breakfast. I had a couple of eggs over medium, some bacon, coffee and orange juice. After breakfast I went back to my room to watch the sunrise. It was not very much to see. There were too many clouds. Regardless, it was enjoyable to be on the patio overlooking the sea. At one point I counted 16 fishing boats plying their trade in the bay. I packed my bag and went downstairs to check out. I left my bags at the front desk so I could go out and walk around. I was dressed in a coat and tie. I made the mistake of leaving my rain coat and umbrella with my bags. I got about a kilometer away from the hotel and it began to rain lightly. I was on the sidewalk by the beach. I waited under an awning for quite a while, hoping I would see a taxi. I did not. So, finally, I began the trek back. I got a little wet, but not bad. I made it back to the hotel and retrieved my rain coat and umbrella. I continued to walk around in the rain, taking photos. After a while, I gave up and took a taxi to the Estacion de Cercania. That is sort of a light-rail operated by Renfe. The train runs near the coast most of the way, so it was a scenic ride. It took about 45 minutes to get to the AVE train station, Malaga-Maria Zambrano. Right now I am sitting at La Tinos having a cup of coffee. This train station is very large. I am sitting on the second floor of a fairly large mall at the train station. I am just killing time, waiting for my 14:00 train home.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.